"The Food We Eat??!!"

Thursday, July 14, 2011 - Posted by Jess at 6:43 PM
Well I finally watched the movie Food,Inc. for the first time yesterday! (I know, I can't believe I haven't watched it before either!! :) ) And of course I wasn't TOTALLY surprised by what I saw. But afterwards I was having ALOT of intense feelings toward the "BIG WIGS" in the food industry. I feel what they are doing to our food is indefensible, but waiting on them to change may never happen. So the question is what can we as individuals do about our food? How can we have healthy food that we can afford? How do we know what is healthy for us and what is not? I think these questions are pretty common among the general public. And I think that some of it can feel so overwhelming that we can get paralized and not make a change at all!! So what CAN we do as individuals? Well if you haven't watched the movie, they talk about how much power we actually do have as individuals; and that it all lies in the money that we spend!! If we decide to purchase a fast food meal we are voting to keep that kind of food going! If we use our money to buy locally grown fruits, veggies, and meat; then we are telling those companies that what they are producing in not acceptable and if enough of us do that THEY will have to change!!! Sounds simple, right?! So instead of wasting our hard earned money on something that really has no nutritional value, causes heart disease, diabetes and high cholesterol, (just to name a few), we can get nutrient rich food that tastes GREAT and supports those people that are helping make the difference by buying from your local grower or buying organic.
But you may say that Healthy food is too expensive. Well yes and no. Maybe at first it is expensive, but if you add up all of the health cost that go along with diabetes and heart disease and not to mention the cost it has on our planet, it really comes out equal or cheaper. And again the more we purchase local or organic we are making our vote for what we want. Which will eventually evoke a change for the better and then drive down the cost of healthy options!!!! Other ways to go cheaper with healthy food is grow your own! It doesn't get cheaper than that! Or find your local food coop and shop in bulk!! You can find so many good deals that way! So it really isn't so bad making the change. Your body and the earth will thank you!
And of course the last question, How do we know what is healthy for us? Well simplest answer is, if it rots than it is probably a good option! (and I can't say it enough local and organic is your best options on any of it!) Anything packaged and manufactured is full of all sorts of preservatives and chemicals and goodness knows what else, so if you can't grow it and if it has a cartoon on the outside of the package selling it, it probably isn't healthy! And if it all still seems confusing please feel free to call me or email me! I would be more than happy to help you out!!
So there is my rant for everyone! It is bitter sweet watching those kinds of movies. It upsets me at the carelessness and greed that takes over people, but also inspires me to make a change and keeps me dedicated to helping others find a happy and healthy lifestyle! So Happy and Healthy eating to everybody!

Much Love-

Jess